Call Now 0345 216 3000

How will you be affected when driving in the EEA after Brexit?

So how will you be affected when driving in the EEA after Brexit? I’m sure you’re sick of the term “Brexit” because you hear about it on the radio, news and online but as we’re all aware it can/might affect us all. So if we do leave the EU on the 29th March 2019 without a withdrawal agreement or any other agreement specific to this issue then you’ll need to do a few things.


International Driving Permit (IDP) 

You may need to apply for an IDP in addition to having a UK driving licence when driving in the EU and the EEA after the 29th March. For anyone wanting to drive in Ireland after the 29th March, you won’t need to get an IDP because they don’t ask for an IDP from non-EU countries. You need to visit the DVLA website to find out more information on IDP’s. 

Green Cards

A Green card will be needed as proof of insurance when travelling in the EU. Green cards are issued by the insurance provider and guarantee that the driver has the relevant insurance needed to drive in that country.  Also, if you use a trailer you might need a second green card for your trailer as well as the vehicle you’ll be driving. As the date fast approaches we advise that giving plenty of notice when applying for a Green card in case of delays. Get in contact with us to learn more about green cards. 

Number plates & Stickers

As everyone is aware “GB” is the sign for UK vehicles in the EU and EEA. You might need a GB sticker even if you use a Euro-plate (one which has an EU flag and says GB).

Trailer Registration 

All commercial trailers over 750KG and non-commercial trailers over 3,500KG will have to register the trailer prior to travelling in the EU and EEA. 

Vehicle Documents

If you’re planning on driving abroad for less than 12 months you should always carry your vehicle log book (V5C) and a (VE103) which is a document will show you’re allowed to use a hired/leaved vehicle abroad. 


So if you are worried about driving abroad after the “doom and gloom that is portrayed as Brexit then get in contact with us to discuss it further. Our team will work with you, offering advice on the cover you need to fully protect yourself and your employees and to comply with all legal insurance obligations when driving abroad.