Call Now 0345 216 3000

Changes to travelling abroad from the UK by car

Until 28 September 2021, a ‘GB’ sticker was valid for cars from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The regulations have now changed, and failure to comply with the new regulations could result in a penalty or travellers can be refused entry to a particular country as the entrance with those stickers won’t be valid or permitted.

The ‘GB’ sticker will be replaced with a new one that says ‘UK’ to mark the move from the EU. The GB sticker was widely used by UK citizens while travelling outside the country which served as an identity token on their vehicle.

What do I need to do if I take my car abroad?

The Department for Transport (DfT) guidelines state that “you will need to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following”:

However, if your number plate already includes a UK identifier with the Union flag – also known as the Union Jack – you do not need to add a sticker when travelling in most EU countries.

“If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate,” the government guidance adds.

“If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it before driving outside the UK.”

To find out more about displaying number plates, stickers and flags, take a look at the GOV.UK website.

The Department for Transport said the changes were made to “signify the beginning of a new chapter for the UK” and was a “reassertion of our independence from the EU”.

Speak to our team

At Ravenhall Risk Solutions, we can access the UK’s leading insurers with policy wordings designed to suit the needs of all our clients. Personal Accident and Business Travel Insurance can be purchased as individual covers or combined in a single policy.

Our team of Chartered Independent Insurance Brokers encourage any business that has staff travelling for business to consider a policy to protect their staff and the business.

Speak to one of our advisors today to ensure you have the necessary cover for your business.